Monday, July 9, 2012

Travels and New Beginning

I arrived at Potter’s Field Ranch yesterday late evening after driving almost 2500 miles!  The drive took four days and three nights rest.  I have never driven that long and I was only able to do it with the Lord’s help.  I felt His company and guidance every step of the way.  I listened to music and teachings, I also was able to skype or talk on the phone with a few people too.  Thanks for keeping me company!


The first day (July 4) I drove through Michigan and I had lunch with my Uncle Doug and Aunt Chris in Port Huron and then went on to spend the night outside of Chicago.  The traffic through Chicago was very mild and I was very thankful.  It was fun to see the city.

The morning of the second day on the road, I met a young girl that had traveled to the same hotel I was in, in the outskirts of Chicago, for a funeral of her friend that day.  I was able to sit with her at breakfast and listen to her story and I promised to pray for her.  

I was able to take some pictures along the way, which I posted on Facebook.  The second day, I was able to see the Mississippi. On the third day, I took a detour to see Mt. Rushmore.  After that, that day was a bit of a harder drive.  Entering Montana, the route was very desolate.  The third night I was able to spend the night with John and Michelle Merkovsky and their kids in Bozeman, MT.  The final day’s drive was very beautiful as I came further into the mountains.

Once I arrived at the Ranch, there have been a lot of introductions and new friends to meet and get along.  I share a room with 3 other girls.  One of them is the first international student.  She is from Kenya and will be returning to oversee the site there after the program here.  Another one of my roommates has been to the El Salvador site that I went to in 2008.  I will try to get pictures later.
My Bed :)

This morning, we had a church service and a group of 70 young guys from a nearby youth wrestling camp joined us.  Two of them received Christ as their Lord and Savior!!

I am still sick, although with the medicine, vitamins and treatments, I am able to go through the day.  I normally have a hard time sleeping in new places.  I have been taking a night-time cold meds that have knocked me out, which has been a blessing in disguise in that I have been able to sleep and rest well in 4 different beds 4 nights in a row.
View from back porch of the house I am staying in

The program officially starts tomorrow.  We have orientation at 9:00am.  I am sure I will be very busy starting then. Today was low key.  Most went to town to buy a couple of things and I took advantage of it to take more meds and take a long nap.  It's 8:35pm and I am already feeling sleepy, so it seems to have been very needed.
The cell reception here is terrible as we are in the mountains.  I am able to receive texts in at least two known locations (one that I just discovered) and I am able to call from one.   There is WIFI here, but my laptop doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet, even though it connects to the wireless router.  My iPad does, but I can't do all my blog on it.  In any case, tomorrow we start a “Media Fast” where we won’t be connected to technology to keep us undestracted, so I won’t be accessible for a while, I think a week, maybe two.  Please keep praying and I will be in touch as time and schedule permits.  Please write and I will respond as I am able to.
For the few photos that I have been able to upload, see:

No comments:

Post a Comment