Thursday, November 29, 2012

Basic Needs


How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? 
And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? 
And how shall they hear without a preacher? 
And how shall they preach unless they are sent? 
As it is written:
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, 
Who bring glad tidings of good things!” 
Romans 10:14-15

How often when we read this passage, do we find an exact basic need that we just know must be fulfilled?

We have been getting to know the kids more and more, as well as understand their background and difficulties.  With each one we get to know, our heart becomes attached to them.  With many of them, our heart also breaks for the difficulties and trials that they go through, hoping that in some measure we can be a blessing to them and make a lasting impact.

Gustavo!

In a previous update, I spoke of Gustavo.  One of the primary reasons his behavior is a bit unruly is because he gets easily bored in classes, particularly because he does not yet know how to read.  He is 8 years old. Because of his behavior, the teachers in school have given up on him.  They report him to the principal, who in turn, reports him to his mom.  His mom has pulled him out of school during his second attempt at first grade, as opposed to being passed by the teachers without knowing how to read, as some other kids.  It is so sad that this is not an unusual story.  The hardest part is that the parents will pull them out of school, or leave them in school although they do not learn how to read, but do not or are unable to teach them to read, as many of them cannot read themselves.

Our team visiting with Gustavo's family

We visited Gustavo and his family and got to know them a bit better.  They are from Nicaragua originally.  He has an older brother and a baby brother, and is surrounded by cousins.  His mom and dad work a lot, so he is always hanging out along the street or at his aunt’s house with cousins.

Gustavo with his grandma visiting from Nicaragua, his mom,
his baby brother and his cousin.
The Lord has put it on my heart to try to teach Gustavo to read.  I have begun giving him private reading lessons and I have been amazed that he responds really well with me alone.  We get to hang out and I am using learning applications on my iPad.  This has been stretching for me, as I have never done it, but as I have been stepping out, Gustavo is interested and engaged, and as long as there are no other distractions, I can see him learning.  The beaming glow of excitement when he comes to learn is heartwarming to say the least!!!

During one of our learning sessions

It is slow and I don’t know how far we will be able to get while I am here, but I am hopeful that once he is able to learn to read and write, he will do much better in school as he won’t be as bored.

There have been some very sweet moments, some bittersweet and others that have been heartbreaking.  One example of the bittersweet moments is when I was asking him if he would like me to teach him to read.  He proceeded to tell me that we all (short term missionaries) come and leave, and leave him alone.  This was very hard, but the Lord had me answer that although it was true that I was leaving, that if I taught him to read, that it was as if a little piece of me stayed with him.  He agreed and we have stepped forward down this path together.

Gustavo, his baby brother, Stuart, and I

I am determined to prayerfully love him consistently, to express that my love is because Jesus loves him even more and to see him reading, writing and loving Jesus.  There are barriers that surround his heart and only the Lord can fully melt them, but He is working! Every time we have a lesson, he always asks “¿Mañana otra vez?” meaning “Tomorrow again?”.  Once he came late, but he normally comes early, even an hour early today, which is so not "Tico-Time"!!!  (Note: "Tico" is "Costarrican" and "Tico-Time" is always late!)

Gustavo praying with Rebecca during Kid's Club

There is also another boy, who is 11, that doesn't know how to read either.  It is almost a crime that at that age he wouldn't know how to read and keep going through grades.  He also needs this personal attention, so I am praying about teaching him too.  I have yet to speak with his mom and him about this, but the burden is there.  Please pray that the Lord will lead me wisely as this is not normally what the program does, but it is very necessary to minister to this basic need of these kids that the system has failed.  Please pray for these kids!

Making application from Romans 10:14-15 … 
How can they read the Bible if they cannot read?

No comments:

Post a Comment